Saturday, September 21, 2013

There's Something About Crisp Autumn Air...

I miss the fall in northern Minnesota. Right now in the Midwest, the temperatures are dropping, people are digging out their cozy sweaters, and the leaves are starting to turn. The air will be crisp and have the most exhilarating scents of falling leaves and dampness and fresh wilderness. The bugs will go into hiding and the horses will feel a little friskier.

It's my favorite time of year to run on the trails through the woods around my hometown in Minnesota, and take the dogs for long walks. I loved digging out my comfy jeans, cozy sweatshirts, and favorite sweaters. Hot tea tastes good again, and cocoa by the fire is just around the corner. There's an energy to autumn that makes a person feel like all is good with the world and life is stable. The season comes on fast, changing from heavy humidity and the heat of summer to crisp air and lightness overnight.

If you've never experienced fall in the Midwest, it is truly spectacular. The colors are vibrant, even iridescent. Forests in Minnesota extend as far as the eye can see, completely uninterrupted by buildings, power lines, or any signs of civilization. It's one of the things I relish when I go back to Minnesota and look out over the rolling hills of trees that surround my parents' horse farm and extend far into the horizon. The endless view restores my hope that the world is not being completely taken over by humans.

As much as I love where I live in Southern California, this fall I am really homesick for Minnesota and the majestic beauty of autumn there. I'm missing the energy and that feeling of hunkering down and making the most of every minute before the days get shorter, the temps get colder, and the north woods prepare themselves for the next change of season.

This fall I won't be able to return to Minnesota for my annual autumn weekend at the horse farm, but I'll be there to get my winter-fix over Christmas. In the meantime, I'll make the most of the cooling air and the trees that do change colors in the midst of the palm trees here in SoCal.



No comments: