Monday, November 14, 2011

Great Weather Means No Excuses...

I love running in Minnesota. I even love running in the dead of winter if I can find a place where the footing is good. Great trails with nary a soul to be seen, which means I can let the dog run free at the same time as I do. Fantastic scenery in the north woods, especially in the fall with the changing colors, which is also the best time to get a reprieve from the bugs. But I must admit, that as much as I love running in Minnesota, running in California is pretty hard to beat right now. 


In Minnesota, running this time of year is not only a physical feat, it's a mental feat as well. When the temps drop into the freezing zone, the lungs tend to burn a bit from breathing in the cold air until the body adapts to the new winter season. After a run in sub-zero temperatures, I always felt like I not only overcame a physical challenge, but that I also conquered the elements. It's a great feeling, but it takes a lot of preparation and planning. Makes great fodder for excuses to not run as often as one should!


Well, no more excuses now. Tonight, the temps were in the high 50's, no wind and no bugs. I ran in shorts, a tank top, and my barefoot gloves (extolling the benefits of ditching the running shoes is a topic for another day). Colors are changing so the scenery was beautiful. Easy to get out and run, but the trade-off is that I have to run on paved streets, and it's hard to find places where the dog can run free. I really hate running while hanging on to a leash (and I don't think Laird would list it as his favorite thing to do either), but I do like the dog's company and he needs the exercise, too. 


With the majority of the year in southern California having mild temperatures, every day is an easy running day with no planning or preparation required other than making sure I have plastic bags tied to the leash to pick up any messes Laird leaves behind. The farthest I've had to run carrying a bag of Laird's goodies is a mile and half before I found a garbage to toss it in. 


Last year I backed out of a half-marathon I signed up to run with my cousins (I really was busy getting ready for the move to CA). This year, no excuses and no backing out. So Huntington Beach Half-Marathon, here I come (in February)! 

No comments: